Return to Wildland Fire
Return to Northern Bobwhite site
Return to Working Lands for Wildlife site
Return to Working Lands for Wildlife site
Return to SE Firemap
Return to the Landscape Partnership Literature Gateway Website
return to main site

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


Personal tools

You are here: Home / Prescribed Burning / Technical and Financial Assistance

Technical and Financial Assistance

Technical and Financial Assistance

Technical and Financial assistance is available to private forest landowners for prescribed burning from a variety of agencies and programs. In many states, state forestry agency professionals and private consultants are available to help burn your land, oftentimes for a fee, but which can be offset through the financial assistance programs. In addition, assistance may also be available from a local Prescribed Burn Association (PBA). Check the map to see if there is a PBA near you.

The following examples do not represent the entire list of programs available to landowners, just some of the more frequently used programs. There may be additional resources available in your state.

  • Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

    • NRCS offers voluntary programs to eligible landowners and agricultural producers to provide financial assistance to help manage natural resources in a sustainable manner.  Through these programs the agency approves contracts to provide financial assistance to help plan and implement conservation practices that address natural resource concerns or opportunities to help save energy, improve soil, water, plant, air, animal and related resources on agricultural lands and non-industrial private forest land. These programs include:

      Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)

      Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)

  • U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

    • The Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program provides technical and financial assistance to landowners interested in restoring and enhancing wildlife habitat on their land. Projects are custom-designed to meet landowners’ needs.

  • USDA Forest Service

    • The Southern Pine Beetle (SPB) Assistance and Prevention Program seeks to mitigate future loss from SPB by managing pine density through Prevention and Restoration practices. The SPB Program will allow landowners cost share for approved Prevention and Restoration practices, such as prescribed burning. The program is typically administered by the state forestry agency, and is funded by the USDA Forest Service. Check with your state forestry agency to see if this program is available in your state.